Wednesday 9 November 2011

Thing 11

Since I've started my job I had nothing but wonderful mentors. I would say my first mentor was my manager, as I was really looking up to her. Now that she retired, very often I find myself thinking - 'What would she do in this situation?' Also in my organisation every new employee has his buddy - a person from different department to help with any questions or issues. Mine buddy was our careers advisor and she is absolutely great person. She was very supportive and always had time for coffee and small chat. Now with my new role I got different mentor, a person who has a similar level of responsibility and is really able to help me with mysterious things like service standards, appraisals, self assessments, business plans... Since starting charterchip process I have another mentor - for the first time it was my choice, and I must say it wasn’t easy. I had a look at CILIP list and I have seen so many interesting people that I felt I could learn a lot from. Finally I decided to approach person who was college LRC manager – just a role that I was taking on from September. It occurred to be a great choice and I am very grateful for all her advice.
I guess I have been really lucky when it comes to formal/informal mentors/buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment