Wednesday 16 November 2011

Thing 16

Local advocacy
I think we do quite well when it comes to advocacy in our own organisation. And without really realising or plan I had an input in that. Being the person that always likes doing things, I got in touch with some tutors and started doing small sessions during tutorials. Tutors and students liked them and they got mentioned during course reviews (by students!) and this way management learnt what we are doing. Also, we always try to follow up enquires, if we cannot find anything in the library, and recommend alternative sources of information.
Two difficult things that I am encountering now, in new role as a manager is, first of all, how to keep the good publicity. Second thing is, as I'm being quite critical towards myself and my work, so it is hard for me to speak about it in positive way.

Global advocacy
In terms of speaking for profession in general I probably do it on a very small scale. However I think all of my friends who had pretty set stereotype of librarianship are now fully aware, that it doesn't involve sitting and reading books for 8 hours a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment