Wednesday 23 November 2011

Thing 22

I am a big fan of volunteering and have volunteered in different places and for different proposes. Although when it comes to libraries this topic obviously gets a little bit more sensitive. Not paying people for their job is a very dangerous idea that has huge implications. What I don't understand is why working in library doesn't require any special skills or experience and everything else does. I am sure that there is more jobs that could be done by volunteers, so why not go further - I always liked idea of politics 'pro bono' ;)

During my studies I have volunteered to gain experience in various recruitment companies and HR departments and I think only thanks to that experience I was able to get my firs job after studies. Therefore I must say it was most useful and gave me a lot of opportunities to develop my skills. I was "lucky" that I was being quite used -I have heard the stories about how you only photocopy and make coffee during the placement - but it was nothing like it. I was thrown into projects, had contact with customers and did what other members of staff.
Now there is another danger in that - temptation to constantly hire apprenticeships to save on staff costs.

I think you can also say that I 'volunteer' in my organisation - I am happy to take part in any project that will give me more skills and knowledge.

Apart from professional purposes I currently volunteer to develop my interests outside of library, so I work in Oxfam charity shop reworking donations nobody wants to buy into unique things that may sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment