Thursday 17 November 2011

Thing 20

I have already written about my librarian rootes. I think my way to becoming a librarian was very simmilar to Laura's - I had no idea that I would ever work in the library and that it will be so close to what I actually studied and wanted to do. Now I would recommend working in library to anybody. 
What is the most amazing thing when I look at the roots/routes project is the variety of roles that people have - I really don't know how on earth did we get this 'boring job' label.

Library in a day, let's see...
It's been my 'late day' today - once a week I start in the afternoon and close library at 8pm. I had to came earlier today to cover one person that couldn't come. Before I started I went to collect free CD that we will add to collection. I started on the issue desk - half serving students, half dealing with new orders and invoices. Then I renewed our subscription to one magazine and dealt with some other financial things (like why our budget was charged with things we didn't order). Later BIG mystery of missing key was solved and I had some time to take down 11/11 display. I came back on the desk till the end of day and started dealing with e-mails and had a go at putting together LRC sessions plan. Liaised with IT to install some new programs we found/bought (JISC My study bar - looks really interesting). Enrolled for interesting e-safety training and added information about new books in the library. Finally and most importantly I finished LRC Skills section on our portal. Oh, and catalogued couple books and checked lots of new additions to put them on the shelf.

I love that not 2 days in the library are the same

No comments:

Post a Comment