Sunday 27 November 2011

Thing 21

I like my job and I was really surprised, how many of my interests and education fits within my tasks. What I am good at - searching, ideas and helping others, what I like - busy environment and achievable challenges. So library seems ideal for me and I am not thinking about changing careers.
I must admit that my CV has not been updates since I've started my job. Prompted by CPD23 post I had a look at it and added all the thing I have done during those 2 years. I quite like the format of my CV - I still try to keep everything on one page - but I think it needs a tiny little bit of personalisation.

Very useful tips for people from outside UK and thank you very much for those three links on CPD23 post. Excellent piece on resume objectives - I've never had them in my CV and now I'm glad. Also excellent tips from the Wikiman - this is what can make a real difference on the interview. And, embarrassing to admit, I am really bad in writing cover letters, so the database will be much needed inspiration.


CV tip:

I think CV can really help illustrate what are you writing about. If someone says that they are creative but their CV is in the format that you can find on any website, well I wouldn't believe them. I always try to make an effort to make sure that my CV was a little bit different - even details that make you stand out, like filling an application form with different font - on the  last one I made it look like it's handwritten (and then saved as .pdf so it doesn't change on different PC:)). It may not get you a job, but maybe can help to get THE call
Have a look at those: (I love them...)
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/creative-designer-resume-curriculum-vitae/

http://creativenerds.co.uk/inspiration/20-creative-resume-designs-which-will-amaze-any-potential-employer/

Interview experience:
I am always very nervous about interviews - obviously I want to get job and I was filling like I have to fit into every expectation of interviewer. But, as Maria noticed in her post, sometimes it's better not to get the job. I went once on the interview, there were two interviewers, very confident, a bit arrogant, a bit annoying. After 10 min of interview I already knew that the way company works and what expects form employees is not for me. And I was never so happy to actually not get a job. That situation made me thinking and now I go to interview with an approach - be prepared but be yourself and if the job is for you, you will get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment